The role of Senior Tutor for Physics & Astronomy is shared between Malcolm Coe, Caitriona Jackman and Mark Sullivan. They may be contacted via the confidential email address STphys@soton.ac.uk
The role of the Senior Tutor
- The Senior Tutor has overall responsibility for the pastoral care of undergraduate students in Physics & Astronomy. This means any issues not directly related to the academic content or structure of the programme of study.
- He/she will liaise with the Enabling Services to ensure that students with special educational needs are advised and assisted appropriately.
- He/she will advise individual students on non-academic problems, preferably (but not necessarily) if referred by the personal tutors.
But please note that personal tutors should always remain the first point of contact for our students if at all possible. The tutors should be familiar with the lines of support offered by the university (see below).
Finally, please note for all academic issues students should talk to either their personal tutor or the Director of Programmes, Antony Bird.
- A student's performance may be worthy of special consideration if their performance in a relevant assessment has been adversely affected by exceptional circumstances outside their control and there is evidence to support such a claim.
- Special considerations shall only apply to circumstances which can be clearly related to performance in particular elements of assessment.
- A student who believes that his/her performance in a relevant assessment is worthy of special consideration should ensure, as far as possible, that the evidence relating to these circumstances is given to the appropriate person within the Faculty in advance of the next meeting of the Board of Examiners using the Special Considerations Request form available at the bottom of this page.
Students may appeal against any decision made by the Special Considerations Board or the Examination Board. Appeals must always be supported by appropriate evidence. If you are considering an appeal, talk to your tutor first.
Useful links for students & their tutors:
- FPSE Faculty Office to obtain Special Consideration and Appeal forms and instructions.
- Page 11 of our Student Handbook on our Faculty Website
- Enabling Services and their various support mechanisms. Students & tutors may contact them independently if helpful
This term Enabling Services are running a series of 45 minute workshops on Wednesday afternoons during term time on a first come first served basis. For information about the workshops the link is here Workshops include Looking after yourself, Getting a better nights’ sleep, From Stress to Success and much more.